Monday, March 2, 2009

Chalkboard 101

I didn't want to bring this up until I had some luck in my quest, but I can't hold it in anymore. Chalkboards seem to be the all new rage on design blogs as of late, and I am definitely on that bandwagon!

I really want a huge chalkboard with a vintage frame, although the frame doesn't really have to be vintage, just interesting and detailed. And I have given up the idea of having real slate since that would cost me a gajillion dollars.

Step one of my quest was surfing the internet for some good finds. I ventured over to Bluebleebazaar's Etsy site and perused the many chalkboard selections.



This Etsy seller was also featured on Design*Sponge because it turns out, they have an obsession with chalkboards too. Although I love bluebellebazaar's chalkboard inventory, I thought, hey! Why can't I just make my own! (p.s. a lot more difficult than I thought). Design*Sponge provided the answers to all my chalkboard making questions when featuring this DIY post, which really got the wheels in my head turning.




I love this one, it's perfect! Click HERE to see a step by step instructional on how to make a magnetic chalkboard on your very own.

There are also chalkboard wall decals that you can stick up on your walls with less commitment and for half the cost. But, I have to say, I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not sure I'm all for the idea of having a decal as a chalkboard mainly because I am leaning towards the idea of a substantial frame, and I feel like these would be temporary and eventually fall off. I could definitely be wrong about their longevity though since I have never tried them! Check out the decals from SpellitOutdesigns.


Photo Courtesy of Poppytalk.

I'm still on a quest to find the perfect frame and have been dropping by local antique stores and internet sites such as craig's list. But shipping ends up being a bit too much. So, the search is still on. Let me know if you have any tips or if you have a chalkboard of your own!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh yes, I have recently become obsessed with finding the perfect vintage framed chalkboard.
I did see those chalkboard wall decals the other day and they might be a perfect substitute!