Monday, June 23, 2008

Turning a new leaf, by window shopping

In an effort to save as much money as I possibly can so that I can reach my new goal of being a property owner before I turn 27 (I have 3 years and I'm starting from scratch - literally - scratch. Nothing.), I have set new guidelines for myself in terms of my shopping for the rest of this year. Now through the end of June is my "trial run" to make sure that I can actually garner the willpower to go through with this, and beginning July 1 the new TEE (me!) will be a work-in-progress.

Clothes I am allowed to buy: (things like socks, scarves, and headbands don't count)

  • 1 Skirt for a suit
  • 1 pull-over sweater
  • 1 cardigan
  • 2 jackets (1 casual, 1 formal)
  • 2 pairs of shoes (my choice)
  • 1 miscellaneous TBD

Very important to note that though TWO pairs of shoes made the list, there is NO BAG included in any of the allotted 8 spots (This will probably be the bane of my near-future future). Also please note that the majority of the items are mostly for the purposes of work + school functions, with the obvious outliers being the casual jacket and the to-be-determined item.

NOTHING ELSE is allowed! That means for the next 6 months, you should only see me with 8 new things, unless...

The Exception:

  • I sell things that I don't want/don't wear at a thrift or consignment shop, AND
  • if there is shopping being done, it is at a thrift or consignment shop.

I figure it's time to learn how to live in the money bracket that I belong in, not in the money bracket that I delude myself into thinking I belong there. That is to say: I'm poor and I gotta live like it or else I'm gonna be poor forever.

This isn't to say that there won't be plenty of window shopping, or that I will stop encouraging other people to spend their money so that I can live vicariously through them - oh, no. If anything, you should see an increase in that verrrrrry soon. In fact, I'll probably spend a good amount of time this week posting things that I wish I could buy on the blog so that maybe someone else will see it and buy it and then share it with me.

I already said I was delusional.

No comments: