Thursday, December 27, 2007

Dry Weather = Dry Body Parts

What a great post title, right? It just sounds gross.

Anyways, when our skin is dry, we all know to use some lotion or vaseline. When our lips are chapped, we all know to use some sort of chapstick or lip balm. And when our hair is dry, CONDITIONER IS KEY. But I bet a lot of people don't really think about when they have dry cuticles.


What exactly are cuticles? According to Wikipedia, in human anatomy, "cuticle" refers to the dead layers of epidermal cells - specifically the strip of dead skin cells at the base and sides of the fingernail.

The eponychium (what the more scientifically inclined folk call the cuticle) functions as a protective barrier between the nail and epidermis (skin) from exposure of harmful bacteria.

See that diagram? Isn't it helpful?

Anyways, why are dry cuticles bad? They tear, they rip, they are unsightly, and I'm not too sure, but I think they have something to do with the strength of your nails, too. (I could be lying about that last bit.)

So, to make sure your nails are strong and your cuticles are nice and soft, here's what you need:



Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. I tell ya, it's a MIRACLE worker. In this yucky dry weather my nails get all brittle and break too easily - but literally right after I apply this cream, my nails feel moisturized and stronger. I know that sounds weird, how do your nails FEEL moisturized? Well, I don't know, but it's kind of like how you don't know what you're missing till you try something. Trust me on this. Your nails will thank you for it.



Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. Also available at all Target Stores.

No comments: