- James Henry Trotter
- Parents killed in a freak accident
- Lives with his aunts Sponge and Spiker (rotund and pointy, respectively)
- Who make him do work and chores and treat him horribly
- and who thought his father was below their level
- He dreams of a better place (in this case, New York, which his parents had told him about)
- And his life is changed when a mysterious stranger appears with magic (specifically, a bag of magic crocodile tongues)
Um...does this sound like the premise to another book to anyone else? One about a young orphan who finds out he has magic? With a lightening scar perhaps?
I'm not complaining or anything, as I love both stories. And granted, orphans finding out special secrets about themselves and subsequently livng exciting lives isn't an original formula in the least...but wouldn't it be a bit interesting to know if maybe this isn't where a certain author got her inspiration from?
I'm pretty tempted to change this post to "Harry Potter and the Giant Peach." Or maybe I just need to turn off my brain from analyzing everything for a night and just go to bed.