Thursday, October 30, 2008

Book of the Day: The Westing Game



When I was in 5th grade, this was one of my favorite books - I checked it out at least every other week from the public library simply because I loved the twists and turns and cleverness woven into the story.

A wealthy man named Sam Westing dies, and has 16 improbable heirs from all ages, races, classes, and backgrounds competing to solve the mystery of who killed Sam Westing in order to get his fortune. There's a doctor, a 60-something delivery boy, a black judge, a Chinese restaurant owner, a Jew, some Greeks, a Polish-American, a secretary, a dressmaker, a birdwatcher, a track star, and a bunch of other awesome characters.

I know it's a kid's book, but trust me when I say it's a fun ride, and if you've never read it, you're missing out.

Other books by Ellen Raskin that I loved: The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues and The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel). Good stuff.

Buy it on Amazon for $6.99.

No comments: