Saturday, January 5, 2008

Tips For Flying

In the last year and a half, I've flown just around 20 times and though I think most everyone is experienced in the airline and flight...milieu...I thought I would put together a few helpful pieces of advice for the next time you plan on traveling.

So here goes, in no particular order:
  • If you're going to check your bag(s), don't do it on your way out. Because if you're going to have your luggage lost by the airlines (which seems to be happening a lot these days, trust me), you may as well lose it on your way home. You REALLY don't want to be on a weekend trip with none of your things for at least 24 hours.
  • Bring a snack, or a few, for the plane. Nowadays, they don't have peanuts OR pretzels offered on every airline, and they will charge you like, $500 for a sandwich (which there are limited amounts available to begin with) so be smart. Bring your own food.
  • Bring a scarf. The plane gets FREAKING cold, and there aren't always enough blankets to go around. Also, do you really want to be using some blanket 10s, maybe 100s, maybe MILLIONS of people have used before? Gross.
  • If you have the choice, don't fly AA. I've flown with their airline all 20x that I've traveled, and EVERY time, the flight has been A) delayed, B) super delayed, or C) delayed and cramped to the max. Why do I keep torturing myself, you ask? It's those dang "Advantage Miles." I gotta get something out of all my hardships!
  • Don't forget your technology: ipod, ds lite/nintendo/games, camera, and chargers for all!
  • Pack a small bottle of lotion or balm because it gets DRY in the plane. Without it, you're going to feel icky and itchy all the live long day. And be sure to put it in your ziploc bag at in easy reach for when you go through security.
  • This last bit is going to sound gross, but...don't wash your hair the day you're going to fly. If you want to wash it the night before, do it, but don't do it morning of. This all goes back to the dry plane thing. Your hair is going to be crisp and staticy, so your natural oils will actually help a little bit.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I just got home from the airport and this entry was detailed enough. =) I'll make it up to y'all later.

No comments: